One guy's life

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Louis XVI and Footballers - Microdiscectomy +9

King Louis XVI of France wrote one word in his diary for 14th July 1789: "Rien" or 'Nothing'. The fact that he wrote this on the day the Bastille was stormed has been interpreted as ignorance or indifference to the tumult occurring. In actual fact his 'diary' was actually a log of animals killed on the royal hunt. Of course, things of huge significance had happened and he would certainly have been aware of them. It's just that his diary wasn't the place to talk about such things.

So in this Microdiscectomy recovery blog I could probably get away with writing "Rien" for the past two days. But of course things have happened over those last two days, and as they do have a relevence to my recovery in a way, please indulge me and don't chop my head off.

Let's get the bare facts of the recovery out of the way first
I am in very little pain and the soreness in my back has diminished. However I occasionally get spasms in my back reminiscent of when I wrecked it the first time. This hasn't happened often but it is a reminder to take things easier. I also have some sciatic twinges and twitches. I'm putting this down to my nerve, having been trapped for a year, starting to get used to doing its job again. At least I hope it is. Finally I have a bit of a rash on my back. Not on the wound, but in the shape of my dressing. So I wonder if I have had an allergic reaction. It's been there for a few days and I expected it to be fading by now. So tomorrow I will try to see the Doctor and get it checked out.

I'm like a footballer
When a footballer (or I guess any sportsman) is injured it is often said that the biggest challenges they face are mental.

Firstly there is the boredom. Four walls (give or take the odd short walk) constitute your world. You take for granted all of the people you used to see each day. The sights, the sounds and the experiences. Being stuck at home with yourself for company is a culture shock.

There are the things you are missing out on. The fact that everyone else is out doing things, and seeing people. Plans have been scuppered or postponed. Normal life is continuing without you; at work and in your social life.

You have a lot of time to think. You also have a lot of time to research your condition on the internet. Reliable info on recovering from my op is limited, however scare stories posted on forums are plentiful.

You find a routine to fill your time. A new norm. If you are smart and disciplined it can be productive. But it is easy to see how people become addicted to online gambling or other vices.

Then you get to a point where you feel good in yourself but your body isn't actually healing quick enough for your liking.

I am at that point. I recognise all of the above mental challenges. I am starting to feel frustrated. The outward effects of my surgery are diminishing: the pain is going, I'm walking ok, the scar is healing. But I have to remind myself that I had spinal surgery a week ago. I am tempted to push things. Inadvertently I do push things and only realise later. I run the risk of set backs. I run the risk of wrecking the surgeon's hard work.

Oh yes, the boredom, the isolation, and the frustration can all mess with your head.

Hence, the boxsets kindly lent to me by Tony, Alison and Tom are a key weapon in the fight against boredom. A key plank in trying to give myself a new norm.

You can't do much about missing out on things. Yesterday I missed a friend's wedding. I was tempted to take a risk and pop along briefly as it wasn't far away. But one over-exuberant kid or inebriated guest could have bashed into me and set my recovery back. Or worse. So I missed it, and was very sad to do so.

But today I received a massive morale boost. Paul and Kay came to visit. The first visitors of my recuperation. They are the parents of Jim who married Emma the day before. Paul and Jim are regular members of my Monday quiz team and Kay joins us from time to time. They are lovely people and seeing them gave me a real lift. I heard all about the wedding and in general we had a great chat and a laugh.

Modern technology can be a blessing and a curse. Today it was a blessing particularly in the pictures it brought to me. Pictures of the wedding with Jim looking dapper and Emma a beautiful bride, an old friend on holiday in Nepal or a newer friend with her daughter. All of these and others made me happy today.

I have at least three more weeks off work. No doubt the boredom and frustration will get worse. No doubt the temptation to overdo things will be more and greater. While my body continues to repair itself my mind will be engaging in its own battles. And I really must try to avoid googling "recovery from microdiscectomy surgery".

So after day 9:

  • Rien


In other news
Wales won the 6 Nations Championship in a stunning demolition of England. 

Alex Cuthbert scoring a try on Saturday-- link provided for the benefit of England fans who haven't seen one in a while ;)





Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page