One guy's life

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

90 - 81 (my top 100 songs of all time)

90 White Room - Cream 89
One of the earliest albums I got was The Cream Of Eric Clapton. I played that album over and over. Many of those songs remain firm favourites but (and this is a hideous pun) the cream rises to the top. From the portentious intro to the staccato disconnected lyrics and Clapton's effects laden guitar there is so much to like about this song. Over a quarter of a century since I first heard it this song has consolidated its preeminence in my mind over other classics such as Layla, Cocaine and Sunshine Of Your Love.

89 Rolling In The Deep - Adele new
I missed the first wave of Adele mania, coming to her rather late. I wasn't as impressed with Someone Like You as the rest of the world seemed to be. But this song showcases her voice to the max,  with a driving rhythm and a killer chorus that grabs you by the balls.

88 Don't Leave - Faithless new
I was resistant to dance music for a long time. It wasn't until I saw Faithless on Later With Jools Holland that my eyes and ears were opened. It wasn't their barnstorming club hit Insomnia that did it. It was this beautiful and rather sad song. They were a real band, and not just a couple of guys with a synth. Their performance of this song blew me away.

87 Somewhere In My Heart - Aztec Camera 96
I'm a sucker for blaring horns. This gem of 80s power pop starts with horns and never lets up. It is another song that I used to play on my guitar in my bedroom. "The closest thing to heaven is to rock and roll". That was certainly true for me back then. Roddy Frame's finest 3.5 minutes.

86 Up The Junction - Squeeze 84
You don't get many songs that lack a chorus. The lyrics take centre stage in this tale. Quintessentially British and naive they may be ("we stayed in by the telly although the room was smelly"), but you have to love a song that kicks off with "I never thought it would happen with me and the girl from Clapham."

85 Saturn 5 - Inspiral Carpets 83
Whenever I hear this song I am immediately transported back to 1996 and my greatest ever nightclub experience.  The Warehouse in Preston was a three level club playing the best indie and britpop music. At that time it felt like 'my' music ruled the world. That particular night in The Warehouse is fresh in my memory as the epitomy of those days. The opening organ riff brought a huge cheer, and by the time the chorus erupted the entire dancefloor was singing, arms in the air or around the shoulders of strangers. We were united in a truly sublime musical experience.

84 Never Forget You - Noisettes 82
Back in 2009 I caught an acoustic performance of this song on the BBC's coverage of Glastonbury. I was captivated by the beauty of the voice I was hearing as well as enjoying a cracking song. This stripped down version (guitar, bass and packing crate) reminded me a touch of Amy Winehouse, but without the extraneous angsty bollocks that went with Winehouse's performances. Then I checked out the original version of the song and loved it. I still love it. The song has a retro feel to it and real kick to the chorus. I love it.

83 This Is Not A Love Song - Public Image Limited 85
I must qualify this by saying that I love the album version but really don't like the single version which I find inferior in every way. The album version is full of attitude, horns and a great hook. The pounding base and the riff that accompanies the chorus are tremendous, while Lydon's vocals are just about perfection. The less said about the single version, which I refuse to provide a link to, the better.


82 Give It Away - Red Hot Chili Peppers 80
For me, the album Blood Sugar Sex Magick is the high water mark of the RHCP's career. They had greater success with later albums, but creatively they have never matched BSSM. I could have picked three or four songs from this album alone. But the reason that I picked Give It Away rather than Under the Bridge is that I think the band is summed up in this one song. It is funky and it rocks. I also came close to including Higher Ground and Knock Me Down, both off the Mother's Milk album and both truly great songs.

81 Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House 78
The first version of this song that I heard was Paul Young's and I really liked it. But there is something more heartfelt and something sweeter in Neil Finn's vocals. I can listen to this time and time again. It never gets tired.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Janet Cameron said...

Ooh I loved Paul Young but totally agree crowded house smash this one.. Aztec Camera, Squeeze chilli peppers and Adele. Gareth I should have married you! ! X

6:59 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page