One guy's life

Friday, November 11, 2005

11/11


I was at a meeting in Cambridge today when I heard a loud bang. It was a field gun signalling the start of a 2 minute silence.

There was a time when I was so terribly right-on that I wouldn't wear a poppy. I viewed it as a symbol of militarism and made an unnoticed statement by not wearing a poppy.

But something happened about 10 years ago that changed me. My Great Aunt died and when we were clearing her house we found a box of letters. The letters were from my Great Uncle Sam. Samuel Parry died on 27th March 1918 in the second battle of the Somme. He was 19.

Samuel enlisted in 1916. He was underage, but when he had failed to join up with other young men from his local church the minister sent him a note with four white feathers in it. So Sam lied about his age and joined the Northamptonshire Regiment.

The letters he sent back were heart-breaking. This young lad saw things that no-one should ever see. His letters to his sister were full of the bravado one thinks of in relation to WW1 - Dulce Et decorum etc etc. But the letters to his parents were painful. He was trying to put on a brave front but between every line was the heartfelt cry of a scared young lad who just wanted to go home. I wept for him.

His last letter was the worst of all. He gave up all pretence of a stiff upper lip. The German Offensive started on the 21st March. On the 26th the Northamptonshire Regiment took heavy losses and Sam's best friend died in his arms. On the 27th Sam was killed. His body was never found.

So I felt like a fool. My pathetic statement did nothing except fail to show appropriate respect to the countless people like Sam who answered their country's call and gave up their lives.

I certainly do not agree with many of the decisions that have led our armed forces into conflict situations, but all along my problem was really with the politicians not the soldiers. So every year I wear my poppy as a symbol of my gratitude to Sam and others like him and pray that future politicians make wise decisions.

Who knows if I would ever have met Sam had he survived the war. In some way, through his letters I feel that he has already spoken to him.

Rest in Peace Sam.

Name: PARRY, SAMUEL WILLIAM
Initials: S W
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment: Northamptonshire Regiment
Unit Text: 7th Bn.
Date of Death: 27/03/1918
Service No: 25255

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page