One guy's life

Sunday, March 24, 2013

The two week round-up - Microdiscectomy +15

Two weeks ago today I had my operation. Just in case anyone is catching this blog late here is what to expect (based on my experience) if you have microdiscectomy surgery.

The Operation
You are under a general anaesthetic so you won't know anything about it. The operation takes anywhere from 1 to 2 hours. Because you are on your front for the duration of the operation you will have red marks on the front of your body and your face. These will fade. I was taken to the theatre just before 9am, was awake in recovery by around 11.30 and back on the ward by midday.

Directly after the operation
You are clearly still full of drugs. I was told I could have various painkillers right up to liquid morphine if I needed it. I didn't. I was stiff and achy, as if I had freshly injured my back (which in a way I had), but apart from some soreness I was not in too much discomfort.

A couple of hours after the op I was able to walk to the toilet to urinate. Upon my return I was able to dress myself.

Depending on when you have your operation and how well you respond to the anaesthetic determines when you will be released from hospital. I was fortunate enough to have been first in theatre that day and was released in the evening.

The 1 hour drive home was not too uncomfortable. Make sure you have soft pillows available to support your back on the journey home.

Pain
Discomfort and soreness characterise the pain you feel in the first week. If you sit for too long you get sore and stiff. If you walk too much you are sore and ache. There is no getting away from the soreness. But it is manageable with ibuprofen and tramadol.

In the second week I developed more localised pain in my left side. This is the side that the disc was bulging. I hope that this is symptomatic of that part of my body readjusting after the op. Time will tell.

The Wound
The wound is around 2 inches in length. Neatly sewn with dissolvable stitches. At first look you wonder what kind of scar you will be left with . The sewn up incision is significantly raised. The wound is tender at first but never excessively so.

From 48 hours after the operation significant bruising emerged. It looked blotchy and red. Due to concerns about infection in the wound area I had it checked by a doctor, but it was just natural bruising in reaction to the operation and sitting still.

The dressing on the wound must stay on for 48 hours after the operation. After that there is no increased risk of infection from showering (though a bath is not possible). You are not supposed to soak the wound due to the stitches. I used the antimicrobial wash that I had to bath with pre op. Spread it over the wound and then by the time I had washed my hair I was ready to rinse the wound site and then immediately dry (patting with a towel rather than rubbing).

Unexpected side effects
What they don't tell you is that a common side effect of this surgery is that you often get constipated. That's not usually such a big deal, but when your lower back has been sliced open, it is not much fun trying to persuade your body to expel several days of waste.

Exercise
You should try to be active from your first day at home. Certainly, sitting around all day does nothing to benefit your back. Every hour or so get up and walk around for 10 mins. I did a rudimentary step routine on my stairs. 50 steps.

Later I walked with a book balanced on my head to encourage the right posture. There is no sense healing your back into a slouch.

A couple of days after the op I was able to walk 1 mile. It was very tiring but great for my morale. Gradually the walks got longer and the tiredness diminished. The walking became more fluid. The trick is to keep walking regularly.

A set of light exercises provided by the Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals are designed to gently stretch you and maintain flexibility are part of my programme. It says to so them 3 times a day but I didn't get to that level until into my 2nd week.

Driving
I was told that you can drive when a) you are comfortable turning your body and b) when you would be able to make an emergency stop without problems. I tried driving 12 days into my recovery. Just a short drive to the shops. Afterwards I felt stiff. I know that I could drive if I needed to, but I will take it slowly.

Nourish your soul
You will have a lot of time to think. Fill your time productively. Have people visit you and take you out from time to time. Read, enrich yourself by what you watch on tv. Interact with people.

Getting back to normal
One of the aims of the op was to relieve my sciatica symptoms. It could take up to 6 months to see if this is a success.

I should be able to work from 4 weeks after the op, though I might not be up to commuting for a little while after that.

I will be having physio, hopefully from around 4 weeks after the op. I will also be able to swim from around that point. Running is still not possible because of the impacts it sends through your spine, but walking on a treadmill or cycling on an exercise bike are possible (as long as the back can cope).

I should be fit to umpire a cricket match after 12 weeks, and fit to resume playing more active sports after 24 weeks (6 months).

Final thoughts
Is this something to be worried about? All surgery has its risks so it would be stupid to say no. But in the hands of a good neurosurgeon this is a routine operation. The results are not entirely predictable however. But if a herniated disc is making your life a misery, or stopping you from being as active as you would like I would recommend it. It is worth the level of discomfort I have had in order to see if it works.




Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page