One guy's life

Thursday, August 01, 2013

50 - 41 (my 100 top tunes)

50 Justified And Ancient The KLF    45
This song is bonkers. It is a huge pile of crazy. I guess there might be an internal logic, but really it makes no sense but in the most wonderful way. "They're justified and ancient, and they drive an ice cream van". But what do you expect from the mad geniuses behind the KLF? They created some of the most bizarrely great songs of the late 80s and early 90s. Having Tammy Wynette on vocals for this song was a stroke of genius, and she camps it up brilliantly in the video. You can dance to it, and you can sit and enjoy it. You can't take it too seriously, but why would you want to?

49 London Calling - The Clash 44
There is a sinister tone to this song. From the thumping bass drum and staccato guitar, to the bass guitar line and the aggressive lyrics/vocals of Joe Strummer. This song is so evocative of a truly tough time for a Britain in transition, so it was curious to hear it played throughout the 2012 Olympics. And yet despite all of that clenched fist anger in the song it never felt out of place at that celebration of sport. I guess if  Americans can play Born In The USA and ignore its lyrics we can do likewise with this.

48 Crazy In Love - Beyonce 43
From the moment the sample of the Chi-Lites' "Are You My Woman" kicks in and grabs you by the scruff of the neck, this is a masterful piece of pop magnificence. There are so many great hooks in this song, from the chorus to the "uh oh uh oh uh oh" bit. Even the Jay-Z rap works when it could easily have seemed incongruous. This song shifts back and forth through the gears with the purring effortlessness of a Rolls Royce. Sumptuous and sexy!

47 Love Machine - Girls Aloud 77
It takes a pretty special pop song to jump up this list ahead of Crazy In Love, but I think this song merits it. The Bass intro sets the tone for this gem of manufactured pop. It's fun, dumb stupid enjoyable pop but it never gets tired. Want to feel sexy? Put on Crazy In Love. Want to feel good? Put on Love Machine.


46 Life on Mars  - David Bowie 90
Sometimes it's only when you try to sing a song at karaoke that you gain true respect for the song and singer. You are eased in with the soft piano led intro. Before the deep strings push you towards the chorus. Ah that chorus. At that point my faultless Bowie impression fell apart. "Sail-screech-ors fighting in the dance hall. O-screech-h man, look at those cavemen go. It's the freakiest show. <breathe> Take a look at the laaa-screech-ww man beating up the wrong guy....." Bowie flies up the octaves effortlessly and in doing so puts amateur wannabes to shame. And that's before you even get to "Is there life on Mars?". Wow. This guy can really sing. And he can also write strangely great lyrics: "It's on America's tortured brow. Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow." The song even ends with a curious coda: a Beatles-esque eternal chord and a soft piano reprise. Curious and memorable.
The first album that I bought with my own money was very nearly True Blue by Madonna. But at the last moment I bought Live Magic by Queen, figuring that I was getting more songs for my money. It was quite possibly the best decision I ever made, turning a liking for the band gained via my brothers into an obsession. There was a tantalising fragment of a song on the album. A true singalong anthem, called In The Lap Of The Gods (Revisited). I loved it and it wasn't long before I had sought out the 1974 album Sheer Heart Attack that it appears on. Maybe it was the singalong chant, maybe the 3/4 time signature. But this song waltzed into my heart and has stayed there ever since.


44 Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield 40
I may have mentioned that I like blaring horns. So one listen to the intro to this song will tell you one of the big reasons why I love the long. Mayfield's falsetto silky singing, the funky soul vibe and the blistering pace of the song are a potent combination. "Take nothing less than the second best". This song is certainly in the top couple of ranks of tunes.
Should this be on my list? I'm confident that it is not their best song. It might not even be my favourite of their songs. But I think perhaps it is the one that speaks the most strongly to me. I'm sure all of us can at one time or another relate to the lyrics of the chorus. I will leave the analysis there. It is a sublimely lovely song. 

42 Great Things - Echobelly new
If the song at number 43 in this list is about being stuck in a rut, this song is pure optimism and ambition. Very much the contemporaries of Sleeper, I have very similar reasons for loving this band. They were incredibly good at writing infectious indie pop. Check out Close But... and King of the Kerb  as well to see quite how good they were. Oh and I had a massive crush on Sonya Madan. But who didn't?

41 I'm Alive The Hollies 37
You could write this off as a piece of 60's beat fluff. It's not even 2.30 long. But I find the chorus immensely uplifting. Sometimes it's just good to celebrate being alive in an unapologetic manner.


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous heather s said...

It's easy to admit you like the clash, but pretty punk rock to put Girls Aloud on your list! (I've never actually heard them, so I'll listen with fresh ears.)

1:05 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page