One guy's life

Thursday, September 08, 2005

So here's the dilemma...

I love where I work, I like the people and I get great job satisfaction from what I do. However, changes are afoot. It looks likely that increased funding is coming our way which means that as an organisation we will expand. We will fill posts that have never been filled but have always been on our organisation chart, and we will be a more dynamic and effective charity. The downside for me is that whilst the rest of the organisation grows, my role will contract.

Due to the lack of staff and resources I have had to get involved in all manner of things outside of my job description. I have dealt with the Government and the unemployed, worked on national policy matters as well as event management - the list goes on. For the last 4 years I have loved this diversity, and yet because we as an organisation are about to get what we have always wanted, I will perversely lose much if not all of the work that lies outside of my job description - the very stuff taht I love the most.

So stop moaning you say. You will be doing what's in your job spec so what have you got to complain about? Well I suppose I haven't, and to be fair I'm not. If I was given a choice between my charity staying the same size or getting new funds and growing I would take the latter option every time. But what is best for the organisation is not necessarily best for me.

So I have started the process of looking for something else. I'm in no rush, and the change management process over the next couple of years would prove interesting enough if I were to stay. But if the right opportunity comes along I think I will take it. I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page