One guy's life

Saturday, March 30, 2013

What the Hell, Cobblers to my recovery - Microdiscectomy +21

Tonight I had one of those 'what the hell' moments.

  • Northampton Town were playing at home.
  • I have a season ticket.
  • The temperature was hovering above freezing and due to drop
  • I have only driven twice since my op and yesterday's drive didn't exactly leave me feeling great
  • I had no idea if I could cope with a drive of that distance, the walk from the car park, and sitting out in sub zero temperatures for a couple of hours.
But I thought 'what the hell'. I am sick of being stuck inside on my own. I am sick of missing footie games. I'm sick of wondering  when I will be fit to do x y or z. Tonight was the time to see what my body could stand.

So I set off in my car, pillow behind my back. By the Newport Pagnell services it became clear that my seat wasn't in a great position. After adjusting it, the rest of the journey was fine. My walking after the drive was better than it had been the day before, but by the time I reached my seat I was exhausted and my legs felt leaden. Treadmills are fine it seems, but the outside world has contours that test muscles unused for 3 weeks.

Why were the Cobblers playing in the evening when every other game in League 2 today was at 3pm? According to Radio Northampton, because Northampton's shoemakers used to work on Good Friday home games on Good Friday were always evening matches to enable them to attend after work. I'm not sure if that's true, and if it is, why with the decline of the shoe industry such a tradition still holds sway.

Blurry action shot looking towards the Family Stand


Anyway, we won the game, which makes 10 straight home wins. So I left the ground feeling cold but my morale boosted. I got home fine, and though I'm tired I feel ok.

So I think I now have to try to up my exercise. Push my body a bit more.


The Easter Bunny
Santa always turns up at the last game before Christmas to dispense mince pies. Tonight for the first time I can remember, the Easter Bunny appeared at half time dispensing goodies from a bucket. It was a rather freaky looking bunny.
WTF? was the cry around the stadium

I don't get the whole Easter Bunny thing. I understand how eggs came to be associated with Easter. But why does a bunny get the task of distributing chocolate eggs? Somehow I missed that at Sunday School.


Gruff's Geek Zone
Here's a little chain of online geekdom

The Guild
The first web series that I ever watched was The Guild. I was almost immediately struck by its quality and its humour. I think some familiarity with online gaming/gamers helps but is not essential. If you like The Big Bang Theory (TBBT) you would enjoy with this. Not least because Wil Wheaton crops up as the evil leader of a rival group of gamers.

It is written by and stars the scrumptious Felicia Day. She first came to notice in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Hold that Buffy/Joss Whedon link in your head for later.

The Guild has now been running for 6 seasons and is very much the revered elder statesman of geeky online shows. Periodic holiday specials led to a song "Do You Want To Date My Avatar" written by Jed Whedon (Joss's brother) and with just short of 22 million views and counting. Subsequent videos such as the Bollywood themed "Game On" show quite how far online serials have developed.

Anyway, the Guild is funny so I wanted more of the same....

The Legend of Neil
Sandeep Parekh (Zaboo from The Guild) was involved in writing The Legend of Neil in which someone playing The Legend of Zelda finds himself in the game (the explanation of how is too icky for delicate eyes). Again, this is funny stuff, though perhaps patchier than The Guild. Felicia Day crops up as a nymphomaniac fairy and is responsible for one of my favourite online songs

Dr Horrible's Singalong Blog
Speaking of online songs, Felicia Day is also in Dr Horrible's Singalong Blog (viewable for free on youtube) a musical created by Joss Whedon and starring a host of Whedon regulars as well as Neil Patrick Harris as Dr Horrible and Simon Helberg from TBBT.

It's funny and smart. Watch this!

Neil's Puppet Dreams
As if this world wasn't incestuous enough Neil Patrick Harris has his own series with guest stars such as Nathan Fillion from Doctor Horrible. NPH has narcolepsy and when he dreams his dreams feature warped muppet like creatures. 

Avenue Q
Ok this isn't an online series but I thought it would be nice to end this internet round up with a song by puppets about the internet








Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page