One guy's life

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Ghosts

Do I believe in ghosts? You know I'm not sure. Wegg (http://wegglywoo.blogspot.com/2005/09/shades.html) wrote a blog that evoked some memories from my childhood. I thought I'd share them cos either I was weird or my experiences were weird - and I'm not sure which.

The first occurance happened when I was aged around 6. I had been off school for almost 2 weeks with Hand, Foot and Mouth disease, but by the time of the occurence I was pretty much recovered except for the blister-like marks that come with the disease. I only state this because it could be a possible explanation.

Anyway, I was off school and had been doing a jigsaw. At that time there wasn't much in the way of daytime tv and in the early afternoon there would be no programmes at all apart from the occasional schools programme.

On this day the tv was off, I was sitting on the sofa doing my jigsaw when I saw, reflected in the tv, the lounge door open and a girl walk in. She was my sort of age and height-wise judging by the reflection she would have been about 4-5 feet high. I turned around and the door was closed and there was no girl.

I looked back at the tv and she was still there, standing just inside the doorway. I went over to the tv (no remotes in those days) and turned it on, thinking there might be some fault and a programme was somehow being displayed. It wasn't - there was only the test card. So I switched the tv off and once the screen had calmed itself down I noticed that she was still there, standing in the same position. I looked closer and noticed she had a tartan skirt on. I don't remember what else she wore but i remember she had long hair.

By this point I was pretty freaked out. I left the room and went into the kitchen where my mum was (she always seemed to be there). We went back into the lounge but she couldn't see anything on the tv or elsewhere. I could, the girl was still there. I confess that I burst into tears and refused to stay in that room. The next day when I went into the lounge there was no girl but I remain convinced to this day that I saw her. Who she was, I have no idea.

The second occurance was stranger still. I was still young, under 10 but I'm not sure how young. I went into my parents' bedroom and on the other side of the room, sitting on an ottoman (a chest not a Turkish person) were my two Great-Aunts. I recognised them instantly. I said hello to them, they said nothing but just smiled. I went into the kitchen (yep she was there again) and asked my mum what Auntie Nel and Autie Eileen were doing there and why I hadn't been told they were coming. She just looked blank and said that she didn't know what i was talking about.

I went back to her bedroom determined to bring them out and prove that they were there, but alas nothing. They had gone. I can still see them now in my minds eye, as clear as day.

Of course it would make a great ending to the story if I said that we found out that evening they had both died that day, but that wasn't the case. Nel died 5 years or so later and Auntie Eileen only died about 3 or 4 years ago at the venerable age of 92.

In both of these cases I know what I saw, and I can still picture those moments very clearly even now. What the explanations are I don't know. Perhaps I was able to tap into something unworldly, perhaps I was bonkers. We shall probably never know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page