One guy's life

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Ick

I’ve been ill, on and off for the last few weeks. Not seriously ill, not even man-flu (thank God). Just a succession of colds. Each time I think I am over a cold a new one emerges. I am now well and truly fed up of it. I am also fed up of being treated as a latter-day Typhoid Annie, blamed when anyone else in the office succombs.

There is now an urgency in my need to recover. The European Quiz Championships start in 2 days – the individual contest being 3 days away. Competing with a thick cold has in the past cost me at least 10% of what I could otherwise have scored. All thought processes slow. Valuable thinking time is wasted in the fumbling search for a tissue or a Locket [tm] to suck on. It is a struggle just to focus on what you are being asked.

It has been a while since I have competed in a top flight quiz feeling on top form. Lack of sleep, or illness have hit my performances. It hasn’t made a great difference in the grand scheme of things, but you just know when you are firing on all cylinders. It would be nice for once to sit down at the start of a competition with a clear head and be able to focus fully on the task ahead.

So as I write this I am supping hot water with a slice of lemon in it. I’ve popped a couple of Beecham’s capsules and I have a tube of Lockets comfortingly to hand. I feel better today than yesterday, which has to be a positive sign. So I hope I will be functioning somewhere near to my best when Saturday comes.

I am woefully under-prepared compared with where I would like to be. I’ve done much less revision than planned. However compared with last year my preparation is streets ahead, and I did pretty well last year. Unfortunately I feel it will be tougher. This year’s contest has been written by an international panel. With the fiendish Belgian question setters having played a role it could be traumatic. What will be will be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page